Wednesday, June 4, 2014

2 Good Days of disciplined decisions

The past two days have been great recovery wise. I am grateful for the principle I learned in my religion class here at BYU. The principle taught by Elder Oaks: to fill the role of we have been given, instead of trying to shrink the role(calling, job, recovery, etc) to be convenient to our circumstances.

I had been putting school before recovery. I often didn't go to meetings because I still had homework to be done, or a test to study for. I had to sit back and look at what my priorities were. What is more important, getting an A or B in a class, or recovering back to a healthy life of confidence, peace, and manageability? Besides, the reasons I often didn't have homework done were effects of addictive behavior.

So I decided to put recovery before school. I made a list of priorities: Morning and evening prayer, daily scripture study, daily work of the 12 steps, 12 step recovery meeting attendance(haven't specified how many days a week I want to be part of that commitment yet), bed before 11pm(critical for me), no TV, and no social media sites(i'm addicted to these and it wastes a lot of time.) I then made a checklist out of these. The checklist is not an ends in of itself though, which was very important for me to learn. The checklist is merely a way to chart my progress of "becoming." Becoming a more disciplined person and becoming more like Christ. Each disciplined decision I make brings me that much closer to becoming a disciplined person.

My last 3 days look like this:

*Note: The "no byu articles" is referring to BYU football and basketball articles. There are a couple of website that list a ton of news articles about BYU sports etc. every day and once I start reading one article I read them all.

2 comments:

  1. I really like your chart. I did something like this a few years ago, but I had trouble sticking to it. When I did well it gave me a false sense of control, so I would get too comfortable and act out. I've learned there's a fine line between controlling the addiction (not possible) and managing it successfully (definitely possible). Your things are better than mine were since it looks like you have built-in accountability and recovery work--meetings, calls, step work, etc.

    More recently I made a list of boundaries for myself, which were helpful since they come with outcomes if I fall short. That made repercussions that (hopefully) kick in before I act out.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good day. I like your blog post. It all looks fantastic. I got here from Yahoo by researching and I can see why. Keep up the good work.
    CPR Classes Highland CA

    ReplyDelete